Thursday, August 16, 2012

Flagship Post - what I'm about!

Good day giant world of webbing!  This blog has been on my mind for a while now, as something I'd like to dabble in.  I am the mother of a beautiful, charming, sensitive, hungry toddler boy (we'll call him The Dude) and 7 months pregnant with a little girl (we'll call her Pickle). I absolutely love to cook and since trying to lose my baby weight from the first one, giving The Dude a taste for fresh veggies, and using up all the autumn veggies we had coming from the garden, I have been experimenting with trying to get more of the fruit/veg food group into our family meals.



Now, I am a firm believer in the family meal - but that is not to say we don't have our fair share of fish and chips nights or to say we never eat from our laps in front of the telly.  I just believe that having a family meal together is the best way to introduce children to the world of tasting and eating, and it's a really nice way to finish the day.

I do my very best to plan my week's meals in advance so that I can ensure that if we are having a 'fancy' ingredient in one meal, it will get used in at least one more so it doesn't go off in the fridge. It also means I can try out recipes without feeling like I have to figure out something fast or we starve.

Does it take effort? yes. Writing a shopping list is right at the bottom of 'things I enjoy doing', right there with writing thank you notes, and sweeping under the high chair for the 7th time that day. It does however cut down our grocery bill, and I don't have to make last minute shops at the grocery store every day for one or two ingredients.

Something that I do feel I should mention here is that I live in New Zealand. So December-March is our summer, and the dead of winter is June-Aug, so seasonally I'll be working with vegetables that suit that timeframe. It also means I live where there are 4 different kinds of yeast spread on the shelves, but I'll be darned if I can find dried black beans.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone else will find this interesting, but at least I can try to catalogue some of my attempts with food, and maybe streamline recipe ideas so they are a bit easier to pull off when time is short. It'll be good to have a record of what I can make.

On with the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment